The Place for the Healthy Foodie and Hurried Chef
Hello my friends! I have just come back from a lovely Spring Break in sunny San Diego, California. Everytime I go back to San Diego, I realize just how AMAZING the city is. It has so much to offer, whether you are a hippy, total prep, beach bum or fancy-pants college student. The food variety in San Diego is also GREAT, whether you want classic American food, or Himalayan/Indian, or the best Sushi/seafood. They also have killer farmers markets in Little Italy and Ocean Beach, where you can find cheaper organic foods, and specialties like The BBQ Parfait, Garlic Dips and spreads, and famous granolas and peanut butters. While I was there, I stocked up on the foods I needed desperately, whether because they are key ingredients for my dishes, or because they are just the BEST and I miss them terribly. They are the following:
1. Sourdough Bread-I cannot find it in Mexico City, if ANYBODY knows where you can buy it, please let me know asap. It is my absolute favorite bread, and I love it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is a great bread choice for an “Egg in a Nest” or grilled cheese sandwich/panini.
2. Bagels-I frequented Big City Bagels in Hillcrest when I lived in San Diego, and I make a point to visit and stock up on Asagio, Chocolate Chip, Blue Berry, Sundried Tomato and Cinnamon Raisin bagels, all for my sweety.
3. Chili-O – my uncle gave me our Famous Thompson Family Chili Recipe, and I have made it for quite a few gatherings here in Mexico and people LOVE it. I will be sure to post the recipe soon, but the key ingredient for this meal is Chili-O. Yum!
4. Country Gravy Mix- I am 100% sure that I will NEVER find this gravy mix here. I love biscuits and gravy sooooo much, and the gravy powder cuts all of the work in half.
5. Kettle Corn- I made friends very quickly at school once I started bringing Kettle Corn to share. The ladies love it and so does my sweety. I brought a box of Kettle Corn as a gift for a friend, and I know she will FREAK. I cannot find this in Mexico City.
6. Oatmeal- We have an incredible selection of instant oatmeals in the US, and this one (which tastes like blueberry muffin) is my favorite. But really, I need to start researching on how to cook oats naturally, since I HATE using the microwave.
7. Crockpot Sauces- I am lazy, and it is just too easy to dump the special sauce into the crockpot with raw meat. I brought back Tavern Beef, Apple Bourbon and Sweet Korean BBQ flavors back with me.
8. Lipton Onion Powder- They best thing in the whole world, my secret to meatloaves and onion dips for parties. I can find these here, but they are SUPER expensive (60 pesos for two packages, in the states it costs you 2 dollars).
9. Pesto-Nonna Lena’s Sicilian Pesto is the best store bought pesto sold in the whole wide world. It is not SWEET, but it has an intense garlic/basic/romano flavor that can’t be beat. I brought 5 packages with my, just in case.
10. Kidney Beans- I can’t find kidney beans in Mexico, and I miss them dearly.
11. Trader Joes’s Chicken Sausage- I will never run out of good things to say about Trader Joe’s chicken sausage. They have a great variety of flavors. I use the andouille favor for red beans and rice, or spicy italian to perk up my soups. I also just found a breakfast sausage that I am dying to try.